April Fool's Day is a day of pranks and jokes, and though we like to have fun, we are not up to any tricks with our energy savings! Try a few of our sure-fire tips to help you reduce your energy usage and see savings on your electricity bill.
- Change your air filter to help keep your HVAC system working at peak condition. Clogged filters cause strain on your HVAC system and can eventually cause costly repairs.
- Set your thermostat fan to "auto" instead of "on." By using the auto setting, the fan will only run when the unit is on, not continuously, thereby saving energy.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. It takes additional energy to heat to heat the water for warm or hot cycles. Most detergents are now made for cold water cycles.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. LEDs are more energy efficient and last much longer than traditional bulbs.
- Turn off lights/fans when not in use. An excellent way to get kids in the habit of turning off lights is to start a "light patrol." Kids can walk through the house saying "light patrol, light patrol" and turn off any unused lights. (Siren noises and citations are optional additions to the patrol)
- Use Energy Star appliances. Look for the appliance's cost and the cost of operating the appliance, which will both be prominently posted.
- Weatherize your home by sealing any leaks. Take a walk around your house and look/feel for temperature differences. Even small leaks can add up.
We wrote an entire article about getting your home ready for spring. Please give it a read.
Make sure that you are in a fixed price plan with APG&E and never get fooled!