Your pool could be consuming more energy than you think. Check out these 8 tips on how to get your pool electricity cost and usage back on track.
Reduce Your Electric Bill While On Vacation
APG&E has found some tips for reducing your energy while you are on vacation. Making a few tweaks before you hit the road can lead to big savings!
Before you know it, summer will be here, which means vacations and time away from home! Whether it is a trip to the lake or a European tour, there are many ways to save on energy while away from home.
- Consider installing a smart thermostat. If you already have a smart thermostat take the extra steps to program it! If you are leaving pets behind, make sure that it is comfortable for them. We do not recommend turning off your air completely. You risk damage to the contents of your home (warping, mold) if you go too long without air-conditioning, as there is a risk that too much humidity could build up in your home. Some thermostats even have a vacation mode that automatically adjusts the temperature!
- Turn down the temperature on your water heater to a lower setting (check the manual for any recommended settings or a vacation mode). Keeping hot water always at the ready is one of your largest energy costs and is unnecessary while on vacation.
- Turn off your house lights or put them on timers for security purposes. You can use smart lights, such as the ones by Philips, or a simple timer on a lamp. Solar lighting for the outside is also a great option!
- Close your curtains and blinds to keep the heat out. Make sure that you have turned off your ceiling fans. Remember, ceiling fans cool people, not rooms, so there is no need to run them if no one is there!
- Unplug unused appliances and electronics that draw power even when turned off. Take a walkthrough of your home and look for electronics to unplug.
- Clean out your refrigerator, and take the opportunity to chunk all that old and expiring food. Fill your refrigerator with water bottles and drinks, allowing you to set your refrigerator warmer while you are away. Some people recommend cleaning out your freezer (think of losing power during a hurricane and all the mess it causes). Others recommend keeping your freezer full so it works most efficiently, and you can turn the temperature warmer.
We hope you enjoy your vacation and can use these tips to save while you are away!